Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Good Mate from A-Z


When last I wrote, I was responding to a reader who wanted to know how to apply the Bible's wisdom on dating in a practical, everyday way. In an effort to answer her honestly and thoroughly, I started doing a little research and discovered something that many of you probably already know. Not sure how I missed this: Proverbs 31 was written as an acrostic. Each verse starting with verse 10 (the "Wife of Noble Character" section) begins with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. It's the A-Z for what makes a good wife. In modern parlance, that's the checklist for marrying well; the "what to look for when you're looking for a wife."

In an effort to make it practical, I've written my own version. An English A-Z checklist. One for men, one for women.

If you're a man, ask yourself, is this woman I'm dating:

A -- Aware; of the big picture, of the world around her
B -- a Believer
C -- open to having Children
D -- Dignified
E -- Excellent in her pursuits
F -- Full of Faith
G -- Gracious
H -- Honorable
I -- Inventive
J -- Just
K -- Kind
L -- Loving
M -- Modest
N -- Noble
O -- Obedient to the authority in her life
P -- Pure
Q -- capable of being Quiet
R -- Resourceful
S -- Skilled, Stable
T -- Trustworthy
U -- Under Authority
V -- Victorious
W -- a Worshipper
X -- still thinking of something for this one
Y -- Yearning for God
Z -- full of Zoe "life of God"

9 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Tuesday's Child said...

I love this list Candice, I'm going to show it to my friends when I get the chance. I like the idea too of this being not just a list of things a guy should want in a girl, but a list of things that God desires her to have, and that I should desire myself. (This is Sarah by the way)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

This acrostic is great. I printed it out to hang on my mirror at home!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tuesday's Child said...

We girls all make lists of what our perfect guy looks like, now we have one for becoming a woman to complete him. Great list! (You should write a book on this concept and these qualities Candice, and by the way, this is Sarah) I especially loved that the whole list ended in the Zoe of God. Beautiful.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Nikki Moore said...

I just found this blog...thanks for doing this! I read your articles on Boundless and am thrilled to find another of your outlets. I will print this list out as well, it's incredibly challenging, in a very good way. :)

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Amy said...

A list of thing that describe what I haven't been able to put into words. The things I want to achieve in my own life so that I'm not repeating the mistakes of my parents.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Finally, someone managed to put to words what I had yet to be able to do. Qualities I try and work on in order to be the person I desire to become.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Beng said...

I'm a blogger from the Philippines who stumbled to this site through the boundless.org website. Great A-Z list. The question is how will we be 26/26! Thanks for ministering to singles like me! :-)

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Alaberi said...

why does a godly woman have to be open to having children (see your "C")? Isn't a marriage where procreation is not an object still valid if it is God-centered?

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger aggierudy3 said...

Great list! For x you could use xenial - pertaining to hospitality or relations with friendly visitors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home